2011 Syrian Civil War

S-125 Neva/Pechora / SA-3 Goa in the 2011 Syrian Civil War

Syrian government air-defense forces fielded S-125 Neva/Pechora systems during the Syrian Civil War, with direct reporting centered on the disputed April 2018 response to U.S., British, and French missile strikes.

Evidence Map

ClaimSources
Syrian government air-defense forces fielded S-125 systems during the April 2018 U.S., British, and French missile-strike response.

Sources: Guardian Russia Claims Syria Air Defences, Deagel Russian Defence Ministry Syria Strike Briefing

A Russian Defence Ministry account claimed Syrian S-125 crews fired 13 missiles during that response.

Sources: Deagel Russian Defence Ministry Syria Strike Briefing

U.S. officials confirmed Syrian surface-to-air missile fire during the April 2018 strike response but disputed that coalition aircraft or missiles were successfully engaged.

Sources: CENTCOM Syria Strike Briefing, DoD Syria Strike Story

The March 2015 MQ-1 Predator loss near Latakia is reported as a Syrian air-defense shootdown, with open-source imagery analysis pointing to possible S-125/SA-3 missile wreckage context.

Sources: Air Force Times Lost Predator, Aviationist MQ-1 Syria SA-3

Timeline

S-125 Neva/Pechora / SA-3 Goa In 2011 Syrian Civil War

  1. MQ-1 Predator shot down near Latakia

    Air Force Times reported that the U.S. Air Force later acknowledged an MQ-1B Predator was shot down over Syria; The Aviationist reported that crash-site imagery appeared to include parts consistent with an S-125 Neva/Pechora missile body, making the S-125 attribution plausible but not fully confirmed in the public record.

    Sources: Air Force Times Lost Predator, Aviationist MQ-1 Syria SA-3

  2. S-125 listed in Syrian response to coalition missile strikes

    The Guardian reported Russian claims that Syrian air defenses used S-125 systems to repel U.S., British, and French strikes; a Russian Defence Ministry briefing republished by Deagel said 13 S-125 missiles were fired.

    Sources: Guardian Russia Claims Syria Air Defences, Deagel Russian Defence Ministry Syria Strike Briefing

  3. U.S. officials dispute successful Syrian engagements

    U.S. Central Command and Defense Department accounts said Syrian surface-to-air missiles were launched during the April 2018 response, but assessed that they did not successfully engage coalition aircraft or missiles.

    Sources: CENTCOM Syria Strike Briefing, DoD Syria Strike Story

Documented Use

Direct proof of use

The clearest direct-use record is the April 2018 U.S., British, and French missile strike on Syrian government targets. The Guardian reported that Moscow said Syria used S-125, S-200, Buk, and Kvadrat systems to repel the attack. A Russian Defence Ministry briefing republished by Deagel gave a more specific claim, saying Syrian air-defense forces fired 13 S-125 missiles during the response.

U.S. accounts confirm Syrian surface-to-air missile fire during the same strike response but dispute the Russian and Syrian intercept claims. A U.S. Central Command transcript assessed that more than 40 Syrian surface-to-air missiles were fired, mostly after the final coalition impact, and a Defense Department story quoted Lt. Gen. Kenneth McKenzie saying coalition aircraft or missiles were not successfully engaged by Syrian air defenses.

Sources: Guardian Russia Claims Syria Air Defences, Deagel Russian Defence Ministry Syria Strike Briefing, CENTCOM Syria Strike Briefing, DoD Syria Strike Story

Timeline

A March 2015 MQ-1 Predator loss near Latakia marked an earlier Syrian air-defense engagement in the war. Air Force Times later reported that the U.S. Air Force acknowledged the Predator had been shot down over Syria; The Aviationist reported that wreckage images appeared to show parts consistent with an S-125 Neva/Pechora missile body, while noting that the initial U.S. position had not confirmed the cause.

On April 14, 2018, coalition forces struck Syrian chemical-weapons-related targets after the Douma chemical attack. Russian officials listed S-125 among the Syrian air-defense systems used in the response and later claimed 13 S-125 missiles had been fired. U.S. officials said Syrian surface-to-air missile fire did not prevent the coalition weapons from hitting their targets.

Sources: Air Force Times Lost Predator, Aviationist MQ-1 Syria SA-3, Guardian Russia Claims Syria Air Defences, Deagel Russian Defence Ministry Syria Strike Briefing, CENTCOM Syria Strike Briefing, DoD Syria Strike Story

Narrative

In Syrian government service, the S-125 appears as a legacy low- to medium-altitude surface-to-air missile system within a mixed Soviet- and Russian-origin air-defense network. The documented Syrian Civil War role was air defense against foreign aircraft, drones, and cruise or air-launched missiles, not ground combat.

The April 2018 record is useful for documenting fielding and attempted use, but it does not establish confirmed S-125 intercept performance. Russian officials credited Syrian air defenses, including the S-125, with successful engagements; U.S. officials said the Syrian response was largely ineffective and that no coalition aircraft or missiles were successfully engaged.

The March 2015 MQ-1 case is a separate attribution-limited incident. It supports the broader point that Syrian air defenses engaged U.S. unmanned aircraft during the war, and open-source imagery analysis tied the wreckage context to a possible SA-3/S-125 missile, but the available public sources are less definitive than the April 2018 Russian listing of S-125 use.

Sources: Guardian Russia Claims Syria Air Defences, Deagel Russian Defence Ministry Syria Strike Briefing, CENTCOM Syria Strike Briefing, DoD Syria Strike Story, Air Force Times Lost Predator, Aviationist MQ-1 Syria SA-3

Sources