Direct proof of use
United Arab Emirates Leclerc main battle tanks entered the 2014 Yemen Civil War with the Saudi-led coalition ground deployment around Aden. Defense News reported on August 2, 2015 that images from Yemeni media showed UAE Leclerc tanks and other armored vehicles being offloaded at Aden, while noting that the coalition had not yet issued official confirmation.
A Washington Institute account published eight days later described a UAE armored and mechanized brigade task force at Aden by August 3, including a battalion-size contingent of Leclerc main battle tanks and armored recovery vehicles. The same account said UAE tanks and G6 howitzers supported the UAE-trained and equipped Yemeni force that recaptured Al Anad Air Base on August 4.
Sources: Saudi-led Coalition Deploys 3,000 Troops in Yemen, Sources Say, The Saudi-UAE War Effort in Yemen (Part 1): Operation Golden Arrow in Aden
Operational timeline
The Leclerc deployment followed the July 2015 recapture of Aden by Hadi-aligned and Southern Resistance forces with UAE and Saudi support. By early August, coalition heavy armor had been brought into Aden's port and airport logistics system for follow-on operations north of the city.
Open-source imagery analysis later connected Leclerc tanks with the Al Anad operation. Bellingcat described the assault on Al Anad Air Base as the first large-scale operation in which UAE BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles and Leclerc main battle tanks were seen participating together in significant numbers.
Sources: The Saudi-UAE War Effort in Yemen (Part 1): Operation Golden Arrow in Aden, Logbook, Part I: The UAE's BMP-3 IFV in Yemen
Western-coast operations
Disclose reported in April 2019 that a leaked September 2018 French military intelligence report listed Leclerc battle tanks among French-made weapons used in the Yemen war. Its account said the UAE had about 70 Leclerc-type tanks employed in the conflict, with roughly 40 grouped at Mocha and Al-Khawkhah on Yemen's western coast.
The same report said the tanks were described as largely remaining in bases, but also placed them in the Al-Khawkhah zone and described a June-to-December 2018 movement north toward Hodeidah through the western coastal region. Army Recognition separately summarized UAE Leclerc deployment in Yemen near Aden and reported that some of the deployed tanks carried the AZUR urban-protection package.
Sources: Yemen Papers, United Arab Emirates to donate 80 French-made Leclerc MBTs to Jordan
Role in the conflict
The sourced record identifies the Leclerc's Yemen role as coalition heavy armor for frontline assault and direct-fire support. It was not a Yemeni-government weapon in origin; the documented operator was the United Arab Emirates, fighting within the Saudi-led coalition and alongside Hadi-aligned and Southern Resistance forces.
The evidence is strongest for deployment and use by UAE forces in the Aden and Al Anad phase in August 2015, and for later UAE Leclerc presence and movement during western-coast operations in 2018. The available sources do not support assigning specific Leclerc shots to individual targets or incidents.
Sources: Saudi-led Coalition Deploys 3,000 Troops in Yemen, Sources Say, The Saudi-UAE War Effort in Yemen (Part 1): Operation Golden Arrow in Aden, Yemen Papers