The institute was created in the early Hungarian defense establishment after the First World War and, according to its own historical site, performed independent military research and development work for the army from 1920 until 2007. Its public history describes periods of concealment under treaty restrictions, open military-institute activity from 1928, destruction and document loss at the end of the Second World War, and a 1947 restart that led back to the Haditechnikai Intézet name in 1948.
HTI functioned as a design, development, test, and requirements authority rather than as a conventional factory. Its public development pages tie the institute to Hungarian armored vehicles such as the D-442 FUG and D-944 PSZH, as well as to specialist munitions such as the BEKM-82 HEAT-fragmentation mortar projectile. Production was often assigned to Hungarian industrial partners, so HTI's role is best read as technical direction, design participation, evaluation, or documentation unless a source separately identifies a production plant.
military research and developmentarmored-vehicle developmentmunitions development and testingmilitary automotive and support equipmentchemical-defense and communications equipment
HTI was reorganized repeatedly, and its own organizational-history page notes that detailed public structure data are incomplete for some periods. Public sources support the name as a Hungarian military R&D and design attribution; factory-level production details vary by system and are retained where sourceable.