GKN Sankey grew out of Joseph Sankey & Sons Ltd, a pressed-metal and automotive-components company that became part of GKN through the John Lysaght/GKN combination in 1920 and adopted the GKN Sankey name in 1968. Local history sources place the group's main centre at Hadley Castle Works in Telford by 1970, after the site had evolved from vehicle-body and wheel production into heavier fabrication work.
The Telford armoured-vehicle operation is tied to the FV430 series, especially the FV432 APC and later Bulldog upgrades, and to the Saxon family of wheeled protected-mobility vehicles. GKN's armoured-vehicle division was sold to Alvis in 1998, after which the production line continued through Alvis Vickers, BAE Systems Land UK, and RBSL.
Armoured vehicle manufactureTracked APCsMilitary vehicle upgradesBritish defence production
Public sources use several overlapping names for this lineage, including Joseph Sankey & Sons Ltd, GKN Sankey Ltd, GKN-Sankey, GKN Defence, and GKN's armoured vehicles division. No surviving GKN Sankey corporate homepage was verified, so the sourcing relies on archival, regulator, museum, successor-site, and defense-reference material.