Direct proof of use
F-16 Fighting Falcons were used by Saudi-led coalition air forces in the 2014 Yemen Civil War after the coalition began air operations on March 26, 2015. The Washington Institute's August 2015 review of the opening air campaign listed UAE aircraft that included F-16s and counted F-16s from Bahrain, Jordan, and Morocco among the strike aircraft participating in Operation Decisive Storm.
The aircraft were documented in later incident reporting as well. Morocco's armed forces said one of its F-16s assigned to the Saudi-led coalition went missing during a mission over Yemen on May 10, 2015, and Associated Press reporting from April 2016 said F-16 warplanes were sighted over coastal areas including Mukalla during a coalition-backed operation against al-Qaida and Islamic State fighters in southern Yemen.
Sources: Washington Institute Air Campaign, Al Jazeera Moroccan F-16, KSL AP Mukalla Operation
Timeline
On March 26, 2015, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Jordan, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Qatar launched Operation Decisive Storm after President Abdu Rabu Mansour Hadi requested military intervention. The early campaign included about 170 strike aircraft, with UAE F-16s and Mirage 2000s and F-16 contingents from Bahrain, Jordan, and Morocco.
On May 10-11, 2015, a Moroccan F-16 assigned to the coalition disappeared during a mission over Yemen. Moroccan statements confirmed the loss of contact, while Houthi-aligned sources claimed the aircraft had been shot down in Saada province; public reporting did not establish the cause with the same certainty.
On April 24, 2016, AP reporting carried by KSL described Hadi-loyal Yemeni troops and coalition forces opening an operation against AQAP and Islamic State fighters in the south. Residents said Apache helicopters and F-16 warplanes were seen over coastal areas including Mukalla and had struck several targets.
Sources: Washington Institute Air Campaign, Dawn Reuters Moroccan F-16, KSL AP Mukalla Operation
Coalition air-campaign role
The F-16's role in Yemen was part of a broader coalition air campaign rather than a single national deployment. The documented operators were coalition members supporting Yemen's internationally recognized government against Houthi-aligned and Saleh-aligned forces, with Morocco, Bahrain, Jordan, and the UAE identified in public reporting and policy analysis.
The opening phase emphasized air bases, air-defense sites, missile infrastructure, ports, roads, bridges, troop concentrations, command locations, military camps, and arms depots. Later coalition air operations shifted toward moving forces, missile teams, commanders, and southern operations against AQAP, while the public record often did not identify which national air force flew individual sorties.
Sources: Washington Institute Air Campaign, Washington Institute Air War, Human Rights Watch Coalition Transparency
Evidence limits
The clearest public evidence supports F-16 participation by coalition members and specific sightings or losses, not a complete sortie-by-sortie record. Human Rights Watch noted in 2017 that coalition members often did not disclose which countries' forces participated in particular attacks, a transparency problem that affects attribution of individual airstrikes to specific F-16 operators.
Sources: Human Rights Watch Coalition Transparency