The yard began in 1945 as Shipyard No. 3 on former wagon-factory grounds in Gdansk, initially repairing wagons, tramways, and small vessels. It took the Northern Shipyard name in 1950, moved away from wagon production in 1951, and from 1955 became a recurring supplier of special vessels and warships for Warsaw Pact and aligned navies.
Open ship registers and catalog sources connect the yard to Soviet naval auxiliaries and amphibious ships that remained in service long after construction. Project 861 survey vessels from Gdansk formed the basis for later Project 861M Moma-class intelligence ships, while the Project 775 Ropucha-class landing ships were built at Stocznia Polnocna from the 1970s through 1991. The modern corporate successor, Remontowa Shipbuilding, remains a Gdansk shipbuilder focused on naval, specialist, ferry, offshore, hydrographic, and other fully equipped vessels.
Naval shipbuildingLanding ships and amphibious vesselsHydrographic, intelligence, and special-purpose shipsMine-countermeasure and Polish Navy vesselsFerries, offshore support vessels, and specialist commercial ships
Public sources use several closely related names for the same Gdansk yard across time, including Stocznia Polnocna, Northern Shipyard, and Remontowa Shipbuilding. Alternate-name aliases are intentionally not repeated here because separate published manufacturer profiles already own some of those canonical labels.