The Enfield Lock works grew out of the British government's effort to centralize and improve small-arms production after problems with British-made guns in the Crimean War. Historic England records the surviving machine shop as an 1854-58 Board of Ordnance building and describes it as the largest and most important new structure on the Royal Small Arms site from that period.
Royal Armouries describes RSAF Enfield as the birthplace of the Lee-Enfield rifle and notes its large wartime workforce: more than 8,500 workers at the First World War peak and more than 6,000 staff during the Second World War. Its Second World War output included Bren and Sten guns, other machine guns for armored vehicles and aircraft, and large-scale rifle repair work, while shadow production at Fazakerley and Maltby expanded the Enfield-designed rifle program away from the main London site.
By the late Cold War the Enfield plant sat inside the Royal Ordnance succession. Forecast International records the 1988 closure of Royal Ordnance's Enfield facility and transfer of the ADEN 25 program to Nottingham, while the former factory site later reappeared publicly as the RSA Island Centre business and heritage complex.
small armsservice riflesmachine gunsaircraft cannonbayonets and swords
Royal Small Arms Factory was a defunct state arsenal and later Royal Ordnance facility, so current sourcing comes from museum, heritage, listed-building, and defense-reference records rather than a continuing corporate disclosure stream.